Departments Boards and Commissions General Government Information Publications Permits and Forms Charter, Ordinances, Policies Calendars Wilson Industrial Park    
Town of Barre Seal
149 WebstervilleRd., P.O. Box 116, Websterville, Vermont, USA 05678
p:802.479.9331 f:802.479.9332


(Birth , Death, Marriage and Civil Unions)




Vital Records are documents that detail the events of birth, death, marriage and civil unions.


In Vermont, birth records are filed in the town/city in which an individual was born.   Death records are filed in the town/city in which an individual died.  Marriage and Civil Union Licenses are filed in the town/city in which they were purchased.

 If you require a certified copy of a vital record the cost is $10.00.

Birth Record Information:

·    A birth certificate must be filed within 10 days following a birth

·        Need to correct information on a certificate?  Contact the Town Clerk’s Office for assistance.

·        Adoptions -  In the interest of safeguarding the rights and privileges of parents and children and to protect the information surrounding birth certificates established by adoption the Vermont State Legislature has passed definitive laws on the procedural techniques.  Refer to Vermont State Statues Title 15a §3-802 and Title 18 §507-5082.

Death Information:

·        Need to correct information on a certificate?  Contact the Town Clerk’s Office for assistance.

 Marriage Information:

·         A man and women who are each at least 18 years old can get married in Vermont.  If you are at least 16, but under 18, you will need the consent of a parent or guardian.  By Vermont law, no one under the age of 14 may marry in Vermont.

·         You do not need blood tests and there is no waiting period.

·         If both bride and groom are Vermont residents, you may go to the town in which one of you resides to purchase the marriage license.  The cost of the license is $45.00 and is valid for 60 days from the date of issue.

·         If both individuals are non-residents you may get the license from any town clerk in the state.

·         Information required on the marriage license includes: basic (names, towns of residence, places and dates of birth), your parents full names to include mothers maiden name, and their places of birth.

·         A  marriage license cannot be issued through the mail and you cannot be married by proxy.

·         A wedding ceremony can be performed by a supreme court justice, a superior court judge, a district judge, a judge of probate, an assistant judge, a justice of the peace or an ordained or licensed member of the clergy residing in Vermont.  Vermont law does not require witnesses, but if you are planning a religious ceremony, check to see of the religion’s tenets require witnesses.

·         By law, you must deliver the license to the person who will conduct your wedding ceremony before the marriage can be performed.  The officiant (person who performs the ceremony) will complete the sections concerning the wedding and return the certificate to the town clerk’s office where it was issued within 10 days after the wedding

·         When your purchase your license, you can arrange with the town clerk to mail you a certified copy of your certificate as soon as it is recorded.  The cost of the license is $45.00.  If you require a certified copy there is an additional fee of $10.00.

Civil Unions:

Vermont’s Civil Union law went into effect July 1, 2000.  This law permits eligible couples of the same sex to be joined in civil union. 

In order to be joined in civil union the couple must complete the following steps:

·        Apply for civil union license from the town clerk of the town where either party resides or, if neither is a resident of the state, from any Vermont town clerk.  At least one of the parties must sign the license application and pay a $45.00 fee to the town clerk.

·        The couple must then deliver the license to an official authorized to certify a civil union:  a judge, justice of the peace, or member of the clergy.  The civil union may be performed anywhere in the state.

·        The official must perform the certification within sixty days after the town clerk issues the license.  The official must fill our and sign the portion of the civil union license.  If the certification is delayed for more than sixty (60) days a new license must be issued.

·        Within ten (10) days of the certification, the official who certifies the union must return it to the town clerk who issued it.  If the official delays returning the certification beyond the tenth day, the official may be penalized, but the civil union will still be valid.

For more information on civil unions contact the Town Clerk for a copy of “The Vermont Guide to Civil Unions”.

Homepage / Search / Site Map / Links / Contact Us