The semi-annual bulk trash collection is very popular amongst residents. This event takes place on the second Saturday in May and the third Saturday in September. For full details review the April and August editions of the Town newsletter.
- Old furniture
- Mattresses, box springs (If you can't wait for Bulk Trash or would like to avoid having your mattress or box spring go to the landfill, see tips in this article at consumeraffairs.com.)
- Large plastic toys
- Pool covers and liners
- Building demo material - NOTE: pieces of sheetrock, plaster, roofing shingles, and any other loose material or items MUST be in containers. Siding and lumber MUST be cut into easily-handled lengths and tied up. This is to speed up the unloading process for you and those in line behind you.
- Clean lumber (not pressure treated or painted; no adhesives, or attached adhesives, tar paper, plastic or hardware) - NOTE: now banned from Vermont landfills, but will be accepted and set aside for salvaging.
- Other large items.
- Concrete (with no rebar or wire), asphalt, blocks, bricks, large stones
Large metal items e.g. gas grillls, appliances, lawn mowers, bicycles (may be taken to Wilson Depot);
- Computers, televisions, printers or other large electronic devices (may be recycled at CVSWMD Additional Recycling Collection Center at 540 N Main St)
- Tires (may be taken to the Wilson Depot or CVSWMD Additional Recycling Collection Center at 540 N Main St);
- Magazines (may be taken to the Wilson Depot);
- Grass clippings, leaves and brush (may be taken to the Holden Road lawn waste drop-off site);
- Household trash or recyclables (may be taken to Wilson Depot or other licensed collectors);
- Paint cans, driveway sealer, roofing tar, and all other hazardous wastes must go to the CVSWMD’s household hazardous waste collection.
- Fluorescent light bulbs (intact ones may be taken to CVSWMD Additional Recycling Collection Center at 540 N Main St, or hardware stores. Broken bulbs may be taken to a CVSWMD household hazardous waste collection.)
- Car: $10
- Pickup truck: $15
- Unloaded car or truck w/loaded trailer: $15
- Loaded car & loaded trailer: $20
- Loaded pickup &loaded trailer: $25
- Truck larger than pickup (1-ton max): $20
- Loaded large truck & loaded trailer: $25
- Van, box truck (10' max): $25
- Loose loads of roofing shingles: in cars, pick-up trucks, or open trailers charged double. Not accepted in vans or box trailers.
Plan your load please for efficient off-loading to avoid slowing down the service:
- Lumber and siding must be cut to easily handled lengths and tied up.
- Roofing shingles and small pieces of lumber, siding, drywall, plaster, tile, and similar materials must be in containers (boxes, buckets, or bags).
Loads of these small loose items require more time to unload. Any loads of loose shingles will be parked to the side for unloading when no one else is waiting.
Be safe! Tie down or cover your load to prevent anything from blowing or falling off.
Town Policy: This service is for Barre Town residents only; proof of residency is required. You may be turned away if residency cannot be verified. A utility bill or Town tax bill with name and address will serve as identification. Loads on trucks larger than 1-ton size will not be accepted. Salvaging is permitted on the day of collection. This service is for large bulk items, not small items that could be disposed of through typical weekly trash collection.