The Town of Barre
is home to four small unincorporated villages; including East Barre, Websterville, Graniteville, and South Barre. Each village has a post office, stores, a playground and churches. Barre Town is known for its large granite quarries, panoramic mountain views, beautiful natural scenery, outstanding school, great residential neighborhoods, modern recreation facilities and attractive industrial park. As an integral part of the Barre-Montpelier urban area, our families enjoy all the conveniences of an urban area while residing in some of the state's most beautiful, rural environments. Come visit our community anytime. There are many ways to enjoy our Town Forest, bike paths, and recreation facilities all year-round. With our rich history of entrepreneurship, some of the world’s hardest working and most creative people, and an unparalleled quality of life, there is no better place than Barre Town to live, work, raise a family, grow a business, or recreate!
- COVID-19 vaccinations: Booster shots and first shots are available. Click here for more information.
- Have past due utility bills due to COVID-19 - water, sewer, or electricity bills? The Department of Public Service can help eligible Vermonters. Contact Capstone Community Action of the Vermont Department of Public Service as soon as possible to find out if you could be eligible for assistance. The deadline to apply is Sun Oct 24. Only about half of the funds Vermont has for this purpose has reached Vermonters. Capstone’s toll-free phone number is 1-800-639-1053. The Vermont Department of Public Service toll-free phone number is 1-833-295-8988. Ask about VCAAP (Vermont Covid-19 Arrearage Assistance Program). Or find out more at https://publicservice.vermont.gov/content/help-past-due-utility-bills-vermont-department-public-service
- Vacant Board and Committee Positions - Several Barre Town volunteer board, committee positions are unfilled. The Selectboard is seeking letters of interest from Town residents willing to serve on these board or committees: Cemetery Commission (meets 4th Wednesday of the month at 6:30pm), Housing Advisory Committee (meets as needed), Good Samaritan Haven Work Group (will meet quarterly, date to be determined). The Good Samaritan Work Group position is reserved for a resident in South Barre. The Work Group provides community input about the Good Samaritan's transitional housing at 580 South Barre Road. This meeting probably will be held during the day, Monday-Friday. The Deputy Health Officer position also is vacant. This position pays a small stipend. The DHO handles calls and cases in the Health Office's absence. The HO and DHO enforce state rental housing regulations and deal with dog bite cases. Training information is available. Applications or letters of interests will be considered for appointment upon receipt. For more information about the cemetery commission and housing committee see the town website or call the Town Manager's Office at (802) 479-9331
- Sign up VT-Alert. This state-run service will notify you of winter storms, road closures, and scam alerts, in areas in Vermont relevant to you. Click here for more information.
- Vault Time/Title Searches: A friendly reminder that we are strongly encouraging appointments for vault time and title searches. Please call the Town Clerk's office at 802-479-9391 prior to your visit. Thank you for working with us to keep to help keep our community healthy!
- Seasonal help needed: The town seeks DPW helpers now through the fall. Click here to see the job posting.
- None at this time.
- Applications for displays of Class B or Class C fireworks are due to the Town Clerk’s office at least 15 days prior to the display date to allow enough time for review and notice to your neighbors. Click here for the fireworks display permit application or call the Town Clerk’s office for a copy or your questions at 479-9391.
- Those who display Class B or Class C fireworks without a permit may be fined per state statute 20 V.S.A. § 3135.
- Click here for a list of recent and upcoming fireworks displays that have been permitted in Barre Town.